Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Victory

I am no longer pre diabetic. This may not be a big deal for whoever is reading this, but it is a miracle in my life. The fall of my junior year of high school, I found myself in the ER with several kidney stones. After many tests and scans, it was soon discovered that along with the stones, I had: a hypothyroid, PCOS, and was considered pre diabetic. My insulin level was at forty-two, almost unheard of for someone my age. The doctors were befuddled. I was only sixteen. The rest of the year was a blur of doctors, surgeries, and almost failing all of my classes. To say it was a hard time would be quite an understatement. I still look back and cannot fathom how I made it. That was four years ago. Since then, confusing doctors has been a regular part of my life. Nurses often refer to me as the ‘anomaly’ patient. My entire life and diet has drastically altered. I’ve had to worry about so many issues that friends my age do not, and will not ever, understand. If you’d asked me if I could change it, even a few months ago, I would’ve said yes without hesitation. But now I view my life quite differently, and I would keep it exactly the same. All of the confusion, swine flu, scarlet fever, kidney stones, medications, and allergic reactions to said medications, MRIs, etc. It may sound corny, but if not for all of those experiences, I believe I would be a completely different person. I have no idea who this other Camille would be, but the truth is… she’ll never exist. I do know that this Camille I am now is strong. She is confident in her faith in her savior, Jesus Christ. She knows she has family and friends in her life she can rely on. She knows she can push herself and handle situations beyond her years. She doesn’t go down without a fight. She knows she’s worth more than giving up. I recently had my blood work done in a routine physical check up. I had been working extremely hard to change my future, and was anxious to see the results. My insulin level came back at seventeen. I cried when I saw that number. I am officially no longer pre diabetic. My entire future is brighter now, and I could not smile more if I tried. I know it isn’t over, it’s just one victory. But that’s how you win wars- one victory at a time. And I plan on facing the next battle with the same determination and, hopefully, success. But if I should fall, I know I’ll be okay. Through all of this, I’ve become quite an expert at ‘getting back up’, and I know I have the strength, support system, and willpower to continue to do so. And if all else fails, I know I am found in Christ, and there is not stronger belief out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment